What is in this article?:
t’s not hard to get confused when you hear about genetic modification of foods. This information can help guide you.
What can I do?
There is good news when it comes to the GMO issue, and that is how many people are concerned about it and are working to stop it. Much of the effort is being placed into GMO labeling.
The Just Label It campaign commissioned a top-ranked polling company to survey 1,000 American voters on their opinions about the labeling of GMO foods. Pollster Mark Mellman explains: “Few topics other than motherhood and apple pie can muster over 90 percent support, but labeling GE foods is one of those few views held almost unanimously.” The survey found nearly all Democrats (93% favor, 2% oppose), Independents (90% favor, 5% oppose) and Republicans (89% favor, 5% oppose) in favor of labeling. The study also revealed that support for labeling is robust and arguments against it have little sway.” For the survey findings, visit www.justlabelit.org.
One of the first things you can do to fight GMOs is sign the Just Label It petition. The organization has already sent a petition with one million signatures to Congress demanding GMO labeling. Add your name to the list. www.justlabelit.org
- Shop GMO-free.
- Attend anti-GMO rallies in your area.
- Participate in Non-GMO month; visit this website for a list of monthly events. http://www.nongmomonth.org/
- Find out retailers that support Non-GMO options. http://www.nongmoproject.org/take-action/search-retailer-endorsers/
- Take the Non-GMO Challenge. http://www.nongmoproject.org/take-action/non-gmo-challenge/
- Host a showing of The World According to Monsanto to educate friends and neighbors about GMOs. http://responsibletechnology.org/docs/183.pdf
- Join the Tipping Point Network, which helps people work within their communities to spread the word about GMOs.http://action.responsibletechnology.org/p/salsa/web/common/public/signup?signup_page_KEY=2925
- 10 ways to clean GMOs out of your house
- And if you’re feeling really gung-ho and want to help spread the word about GMOs, you can print theseGMO Warning stickers and apply them surreptitiously to products at your local store.
- If you doubt the power of one, look what happened when one store retailer took action.