Chocolate Jam Bread Pudding Serves 8
No one will guess there's tofu in this decadent dessert made with chocolate chips and raspberry jam.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour
2 10.5-ounce boxes silken "lite" firm tofu
1/3 cup granulated cane or fruit juice sweetener
1/2 cup "lite" soy milk
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 egg whites or equivalent egg replacer
5 cups day-old crusty whole-grain French bread cubes
1/2 cup chocolate or carob chips
1/3 cup all-fruit raspberry jam
1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Spray a 1 1/2-quart baking dish with vegetable cooking spray.
2. In a blender or food processor, combine tofu, sweetener, soy milk, spices, salt, vanilla and egg whites until smooth.
3. Place half the bread cubes in the prepared baking dish. Cover with half of the tofu mixture, half of the chocolate chips and half of the jam.
4. Layer remaining bread, tofu mixture, chocolate chips and jam in dish.
5. Bake in oven for 1 hour or until set in center. Serve slightly warm topped with soy milk or tofu "whipped cream."