Warm Lemon- Lavender CakesRobert Danhi
- Serves: 10 people
- Calories per serving: 331
Delicate in flavor but with a texture similar to bread pudding, these individual cakes may be dressed up with any fresh fruit, fruit sauce, or even plain whipped cream. If you prefer, substitute fresh or frozen strawberries for the cranberries in the sauce; reduce the sugar slightly.
- Preheat oven to 325 ̊. In a small saucepan, melt butter and bring to a gentle boil (do not burn); add lemon zest, lavender, and honey and whisk well. Remove from heat and let sit until cool, at least 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together cooled lemon-butter mixture, milk, and beaten eggs. In a large bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour, oat bran, baking powder, and salt. Form a well in dry ingredients and slowly whisk in wet ingredients until smooth. Butter ten 1⁄2-cup ramekins; fill each with batter. Place on a rimmed baking sheet and bake for about 25 minutes, or until cakes are set when shaken.
- To make sauce: Cut lemon lengthwise into eight wedges. Remove seeds and peel. Slice lemon flesh crosswise into 1⁄4-inch triangular slices and combine in a medium saucepan with lemon juice, orange juice, sugar, and rosemary, plus a generous pinch of salt. Bring to a boil; then reduce heat and simmer for 3 minutes. Stir in cranberries and remove from heat. (Sauce can be stored in the fridge; warm before serving.)
- If using white chocolate cream, in a small pan bring half-and-half to a gentle boil. Remove from heat and whisk in white chocolate until smooth.
- To serve: Warm cakes gently in 250 ̊ oven (or microwave briefly). Run a knife around ramekins’ inside edges; remove cakes onto serving plates. Top with warm fruit sauce and drizzle with white chocolate cream, if using.
Per Serving: 331 cal, 8g fat (3g mono, 1g poly, 5g sat), 76mg chol, 7g protein, 59g carb, 2g fiber, 362mg sodium