Vegan Cheese FondueCarsen Snyder | Delicious Living
- Serves: 6 people
Stray from the expected with a cheese fondue that has a cashew base. Using a high-speed blender will yield the best results for this flavor-packed fondue. The cashews should be soaked for at least 2 hours—ideally overnight—and then drained and reserved for cooking.
- Soak cashews in water for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375˚. Brush squash halves with oil and place cut-side down on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Toss carrot with oil and a pinch of salt; place next to squash on baking sheet. Roast squash and carrot for 20 minutes. Remove carrot from baking sheet and place in a bowl. Continue to roast squash for another 25 minutes, or until tender. Remove squash from oven and scoop out flesh into the bowl with carrots. Discard the outer squash peel.
- In a high-speed blender, blend soaked and drained cashews with ½ cup water until smooth. To the blender, add roasted carrot and squash, nutritional yeast, garlic, miso paste, mustard, lemon juice, turmeric, onion powder and cayenne (if using), and purée until smooth.
- Slowly drizzle olive oil into blender while it’s running to impart a silky texture. Add remaining ¼ cup water and blend. If fondue is too thick, add more water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until fondue reaches desired consistency. Add 2 teaspoons salt and blend. Taste and add remaining salt and tamari, if desired, to taste.
- To serve, transfer mixture to a fondue pot and keep warm.
PER SERVING (1/8 of the fondue): 146 cal, 10g fat (7g mono, 1g poly, 2g sat), 0mg chol, 341mg sodium, 14g carb (3g fiber, 3g sugars), 3g protein