Swiss Chard and Spicy Guacamole QuesadillasAlan Roettinger | Delicious Living
- Serves: 4 people
- Calories per serving: 274
Cheese-free, but stuffed with veggies and creamy guac.
Prep tips: Bright orange habanero peppers rate superhigh on the heat scale, so use caution when handling; or use a milder jalapeño instead. “Chiffonade” means cut into ribbons; layer chard leaves, roll up lengthwise, then cut crosswise into thin strips.
- In a medium bowl, combine avocado and cilantro; using the back of a spoon, mash avocado until creamy but textured. Add remaining guacamole ingredients and mix well. Add the pit to guacamole to prevent rapid browning. Set aside.
- If using raisins, cover with hot water to plump; drain. In a large pot over high heat, bring 3 quarts salted water to a boil. Prepare a large bowl of ice water. Add chard chiffonade to boiling water and cook, uncovered, for 1 minute. Drain and quickly plunge into ice water to stop cooking. Drain.
- In a medium sauté pan, add ½ tablespoon olive oil and garlic. Increase heat to medium-high and sauté for 1 minute. Add chard, drained raisins (if using), and ¼ teaspoon salt. Sauté for 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add orange juice and cook for an additional 15 seconds. Do not overcook (chard should be bright green). Season with additional salt if needed. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 200°. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, warm a little olive oil. Add 1 tortilla, moving it around to cover bottom with oil. Spread 2 tablespoons sautéed chard on half of tortilla. Spread 2 heaping tablespoons guacamole on top of chard; cook for 2 minutes. Fold tortilla in half and press down with a spatula for 15 seconds. Flip and cook another 30 seconds. The quesadilla should be lightly browned on both sides. Place quesadilla on a baking sheet and transfer to oven to keep warm. Repeat with remaining ingredients, making 4 quesadillas. Before serving, cut each quesadilla in half and garnish with cilantro. Serve with sour cream and hot sauce.
PER SERVING: 274 cal, 40% fat cal, 12g fat, 1g sat fat, 0mg chol, 7g protein, 35g carb, 7g fiber, 558mg sodium