Sweet Potato Pecan Pie Yields: 8 slices
This pie is made without dairy, eggs or sugar. Add roasted, glazed pecans for a final festive, elegant touch.
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
5 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
Juice and zest of two oranges
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
2 pinches sea salt
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 tablespoons kuzu dissolved
in 3 tablespoons water
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 1/2 cups rolled oats, ground into
oat flour in a food processor
1/2 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
1 pinch sea salt
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup water
1 cup pecan halves
3 tablespoons barley malt
3 tablespoons maple syrup
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Place sweet potatoes in a large pot of water and boil until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain well and mash or purée until smooth and creamy.
2. Add orange juice and zest, spices, salt, vanilla, maple syrup and dissolved kuzu. Mix well and set aside.
3. To make the pie crust, combine the oat flour, whole-wheat pastry flour and salt in a large bowl. Whisk together oil, maple syrup and water. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir until well-combined. With moistened fingertips, pat the oat mixture into an oiled 8-inch pie plate. Bake for 10 minutes.
4. Pour sweet potato filling into the baked crust. Leave enough room for the pecan topping. Set aside.
5. Scatter pecans on baking sheet and bake at 350° for 8 to 10 minutes, or until toasted. Combine barley malt and maple syrup and toss with pecans so they're shiny but not drenched. Place pecans mosaic-fashion on top of pie filling. Bake about 40 minutes, or until pecan topping is bubbling and caramelized and the crust is brown at the edges. Cool pie before serving.