Sweet Potato Latkes with Tomatillo SalsaGary Mobell and Luis Galvez | Delicious Living
- Serves: 12 people
Spicy tomatillos add a nice heat to the sweet latkes.
- Make salsa: Remove tomatillo husks and rinse to remove sticky residue. Place tomatillos in boiling water until soft. Cook garlic at 350˚ with a little olive oil until it turns brown. Mix tomatillos, garlic, cilantro, and a pinch of salt and pepper in a blender and puree. Set aside.
- Peel sweet potatoes or yams and coarsely grate by hand or with a food processor grater. Drain any excess liquid with a paper towel or clean dishcloth. Place potatoes in a bowl and mix with beaten eggs, flour, cinnamon, sugar, salt, and pepper.
- In a 12-inch or slightly larger nonstick pan, begin to heat olive oil. Pat potato mixture into 3-inch round patties, making sure they are well condensed and sticking together.
- Place 4 latkes in the pan at a time and fry on each side until brown and crispy. Each family likes their latkes at different consistencies from slightly browned to almost black and very crispy. Note that sugar blackens and burns quickly, so flip the latkes often.
- Remove latkes from oil and place on a platter layered with paper towels. Repeat until all latkes are made. Serve with salsa and a drizzle of sour cream, if desired.