Squash Tart With Fresh Pomegranate Juicelweldon | Delicious Living
- Serves: 12 people
- Calories per serving: 212
Pair this luscious tart with a wine such as Carneros, Saintsbury Pinot Noir, Calif., 1990-97, $18.2
- Mix flour and sugar together. Add butter, cut into chunks, into flour mixture.
- With a pastry cutter or two knives, mix until butter is the size of small peas. Add vanilla and 2-4 teaspoons ice water; continue cutting just until it comes together. Chill dough for 30 minutes
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Roll out dough to fit 12-inch tart pan with removable bottom. Place dough into pan, pinch up sides and cut off excess.
- Line dough with foil and fill with dried beans. Bake for 8 minutes, then remove beans and foil and bake 6 more minutes. Set aside.
- For filling, preheat oven to 350°F. Cut squash in half and place cut side down on a baking pan. Roast until soft, about 1 hour. Cool and remove peel. Measure 4 cups pulp.
- Purée pulp and all remaining ingredients in food processor until smooth. Pour into prepared shell. Bake at 350°F until set, about 20-25 minutes.
- For pomegranate juice, cut pomegranate in half and squeeze out juice through small strainer, reserving seeds. For each serving, put 1 tablespoon juice onto plate, top with slice of tart and sprinkle on a few seeds for garnish.
Sean Kelly, chef/owner of Aubergine Café and The Biscuit, both in Denver.