Serves 4–8 / Pair with cranberry, pomegranate, or açai juice. Prep tip: If you're making these for picky eaters, combine eggs, milk, salt, and pepper separately; add vegetables or cheese individually to each ramekin or muffin cup, then pour egg mixture over the top.
- 4 eggs
- 4 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon reduced-fat
- (2 percent) milk
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
- 10 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 cups (1 ounce) baby spinach leaves
1. Preheat oven to 375º. Coat four 1-cup ramekins or eight 1/2-cup muffin cups with cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, beat eggs and egg whites. Add milk, pepper, salt, basil, tomatoes, and cheese.
3. In a medium sauté pan, heat olive oil; sauté garlic over medium heat for about 2 minutes. Add spinach and sauté 1–2 minutes, until spinach is wilted but still a vibrant green. Add spinach mixture to egg mixture. Ladle into prepared ramekins or cups. Bake for 18–20 minutes, until eggs are cooked thoroughly. (They will expand while cooking and will collapse while cooling.) When cool, remove from cups. Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to one week.
PER SERVING (1/2 cup): 70 cal, 55% fat cal, 4g fat, 2g sat fat, 110mg chol, 6g protein, 2g carb, 0g fiber, 193mg sodium