Makes about 2 cups / The word guacamole comes from the Nahuatl ahuacamolli, which is ahuacatl (avocado) plus molli (mixture or sauce). Guacamole combines the richness of avocados with fresh, flavorful ingredients like citrus, chile, and cilantro for a unique and satisfying treat to enjoy with tortilla chips or as a condiment. For a spicier guacamole, chop some of the seeds and membranes of the chiles and add them to the mix.
- 2 large, ripe avocados
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons minced white onion
- 1-2 Roma tomatoes, cut into ¼-inch dice
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro, or to taste
- 1 medium-large serrano chile pepper, seeds and membranes removed, finely chopped
- Scoop flesh from avocados into large bowl. Add lemon juice and mash with a fork until mostly smooth, with some chunks remaining. Add remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt. Serve immediately.
PER SERVING (1/4 cup): 84 cal, 72% fat cal, 7g fat, 1g sat fat, 0mg chol, 1g protein, 5g carb, 4g fiber, 4mg sodium