Shrimp, Avocado and Hearts of Palm SaladDL Staff | Delicious Living
- Serves: 6 people
- Calories per serving: 320
This salad has two dressings: a light vinaigrette for the lettuce and a creamy dressing for the shrimp and vegetables. Ingredient tip: Look for sustainable-harvest Brazilian hearts of palm, which are the most tender. Prep tip: The creamy dressing needs to be made as close to serving time as possible to prevent it from deflating.
- Bring 1 quart water to a boil with garlic, bay leaves, fennel seeds, peppercorns, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes. Increase heat to high, add shrimp, and return to a boil. Immediately cover, remove from heat, and allow shrimp to cool. When lukewarm, remove shrimp from liquid, peel, and devein. Refrigerate until cold.
- Select about a quarter of the vegetables (hearts of palm, avocado, tomato, and green pepper), and set aside in a small bowl.
- Combine cream, 1 tablespoon lime juice, ketchup, and hot sauce in a medium bowl. Whip until soft peaks form. Add shrimp, plus remaining vegetables; toss gently to coat.
- Whisk remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 3 tablespoons lime juice with flaxseed oil and ground pepper. Toss about one-third with the reserved vegetables. Drizzle remainder of dressing (or less, if you prefer) over lettuce and toss to coat lightly. Divide lettuce between four chilled plates and place a mound of shrimp and vegetable mixture in the center. Dot with reserved vegetables. Garnish with a sprinkling of chives and serve at once.
PER SERVING: 320 cal, 62% fat cal, 23g fat, 4g sat fat, 122mg chol, 19g protein, 12g carb, 6g fiber, 419mg sodium