Shiitake and White Bean Burgers with Watercress Pesto and Goat CheeseLisa Turner
- Prep Time: 25 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 35 mins
- Serves: 6 people
- Calories per serving: 389
Small, peppery cress complements these rich, high-fiber burgers. Prep tips: Substitute arugula if you can’t find watercress, or use lentils instead of white beans for a more rustic flavor. These burgers hold together better when panfried, but if using a grill, just be sure to coat it well with oil.
- Heat a sauté pan to medium-high. (Or coat grill racks with oil and preheat to medium-high.)
- In a food processor, combine mushrooms, onion, beans, two of the garlic cloves, egg, rosemary, salt, and pepper. Process until well combined but not completely puréed; mixture will be wet. Transfer to a medium bowl and, using hands, mix in bread crumbs until mixture holds its shape but is still moist. Form into six patties and brush each side with olive oil. Panfry or grill for 10 minutes, turning halfway through, until crispy and browned on the outside and heated through.
- While burgers are cooking, make pesto: In a food processor, combine remaining garlic clove, watercress, pine nuts, and olive oil. Pulse until a paste forms. Season with sea salt and pepper.
- During final 2–3 minutes of cooking, toast bread to warm. Remove from pan or grill, and spread with pesto and goat cheese. Add burgers and serve immediately.
PER SERVING (with 1 tablespoon pesto): 389 cal, 21% fat cal, 9g fat, 3g sat fat, 43mg chol, 16g protein, 63g carb, 6g fiber, 692mg sodium