Scallops in Oolong-Peach SauceStaff | Delicious Living
- Serves: 4 people
- Calories per serving: 351
This recipe was inspired by seafood dishes we encountered in Fujian, China, the source of fragrant oolong tea and many orchard fruits. Ingredient tips: The combination of oolong and fresh peaches is magical, but be sure to use fully ripe peaches (or substitute canned and drained peaches). If you don't have peaches, Bosc pears make an equally delicious sauce.
- In a heavy saucepan, rinse rice in several changes of cold water. Combine rice with 1 1/4 cups cold water and soak for 30-60 minutes.
- While rice is soaking, brew tea for the sauce: Place tea leaves in a teapot or heatproof pitcher. Bring 1 1/2 cups water to a boil; cool for 2 minutes to 185°. Pour over tea leaves, cover, and infuse for 2-3 minutes. Strain tea, let leaves rest for 1-2 minutes, then recombine leaves with brewed tea and steep again for 2-3 minutes. Strain, discarding tea leaves. This double-strength infusion will yield about 1 cup liquid tea.
- After soaking, bring rice to a boil; stir once, reduce heat, and simmer gently, uncovered, until all water is absorbed (15 minutes maximum). Place a clean, dry tea towel over the top of the pan and cover tightly with a lid. On lowest heat, cook rice for an additional 8 minutes—do not peek—then remove from heat and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- While rice is cooking, combine 1 cup brewed tea, lemongrass, and green onions in a small heavy saucepan and simmer gently for 5 minutes. Remove lemongrass and green onions. Add peach chunks, 1 tablespoon butter, honey, salt, and cayenne pepper. Depending on the peaches' juiciness, simmer 5-10 minutes. The sauce should coat a spoon but not be thick, and peaches should retain their shape. Season to taste.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet. Increase temperature to high and add scallops. Sear for 1-2 minutes per side. On each serving plate, arrange scallops and steamed green beans around a bed of rice. Pour sauce over scallops. Grind fresh black pepper over all.
PER SERVING: 351 cal, 20% fat cal, 8g fat, 4g sat fat, 43mg chol, 20g protein, 51g carb, 5g fiber, 235mg sodium