San Diego Seafood StewElisa Bosley | Delicious Living
- Serves: 6 people
- Calories per serving: 455
Chef Jason Knibb of Nine-Ten restaurant in La Jolla, California, created this mélange of local fish, which combine for a delicious, bread-dipping stew. Berbere is a classic Ethiopian seasoning of garlic, red pepper, cardamom, coriander, and other spices; look for it in specialty shops, or substitute a blend of paprika, garlic, and cayenne pepper. Look for fish stock in the refrigerated or frozen section of natural markets or packaged in shelf-stable boxes; or make Knibb's homemade Shrimp Stock. For a shortcut version of the reduced stock in step 1, substitute a tablespoon of low-sodium, bottled Asian fish sauce.
- Make shrimp aioli: Gently boil 2 cups shrimp or fish stock until reduced to 2 tablespoons and slightly thickened. Remove from pan and cool. Once cool, add to a food processor with egg yolk, garlic, lemon juice, and vinegar. With motor running, add olive oil and process until emulsified. Salt to taste. Refrigerate.
- Cut baguette diagonally into ¼-inch slices. Toast lightly; set aside.
- Shave fennel on a mandolin about 1/ 8 inch thick. Toss with a little olive oil and reserve in refrigerator until serving time.
- On a baking sheet, arrange tuna, shrimp, and calamari, and season with salt and pepper. Coat a large, deep sauté pan over high heat with olive oil. Pan-sear tuna cubes 5 seconds on all sides; remove from pan to a paper-towel-lined tray. In same pan, sear shrimp and calamari for 1 minute; remove to tray with tuna. In same pan, add chorizo and stir to crumble. Remove. Add cod and bass or halibut; pan-sear. Deglaze pan with 3 cups shrimp or fish stock, and then simmer until cod and bass are tender and done, about 3 minutes. Return seared tuna, shrimp, calamari, and chorizo back into pan and simmer for 2–3 minutes. Add berbere and salt to taste.
- Divide stew into bowls and sprinkle with fennel, parsley, and more berbere spice if desired. Place one piece of bread and 1 tablespoon shrimp aioli on top. Serve immediately.
PER SERVING: 455 cal, 21g fat (10g mono, 6g poly, 5g sat), 166mg chol, 37g protein, 26g carb, 3g fiber, 748mg sodium