Saffron-Scented Chicken with Rice, Eggplant, and CauliflowerDebra Bokur | Delicious Living
- Serves: 4 people
- Calories per serving: 457
Chef Moshe Basson describes this dish as the embodiment of what Chefs for Peace stand for. "Together, the ingredients taste better than each does standing alone. Each ingredient keeps its identity, just as people of different faiths and backgrounds can retain their own identity, yet still work together to create something beautiful and strong."
- Soak washed rice in cold water for 30 minutes; drain.
- Pour 1 tablespoon olive oil into a wide, deep pan. Add onions and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until softened and caramelized, about 25 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in garlic, and cook 1 minute more, being careful not to burn. Remove to a bowl.
- Trim excess fat from chicken and add to pan, turning and cooking until lightly browned on all sides. Return onions to pan, along with saffron, turmeric, thyme, nutmeg and pepper. Add enough cold water to cover chicken. Place lid on pan, and bring to a gentle boil. After 20 minutes, add salt (broth should be slightly salty).
- While chicken cooks, sauté potatoes in a separate pan over medium-high heat in 1 tablespoon olive oil until slightly golden, but not cooked through. Remove to a bowl. Add cauliflower to pan and sauté until honey-colored. Transfer to a second bowl. In the same pan, sauté eggplant until lightly browned (add additional oil as needed).
- Reserving broth, transfer chicken to a large Dutch oven, skin side down. Fill spaces between chicken pieces with eggplant slices. Distribute cauliflower over top, and then potato slices. Spread drained rice over potatoes. Add enough of reserved cooking broth to cover, spreading onions on top.
- Place the Dutch oven, uncovered, over medium heat, and gently boil for 15 minutes. Cover pot, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook for 20 minutes. Transfer rice, vegetables, and chicken to a platter and serve.
PER SERVING: 457 cal, 27% fat cal, 14g fat (7g mono, 2g poly, 3g sat), 40mg chol, 19g protein, 67g carb, 9g fiber, 639mg sodium
Back to Recipes for peace.