Roasted Beet, Onion and Goat Cheese SaladStaff | Delicious Living
- Serves: 6 people
- Calories per serving: 278
This is a very simple recipe, which depends on using good ingredients. If you can't get baby beets, substitute large beets, which you can cut into wedges after roasting and peeling. Sauvignon blanc and goat cheese are a classic combination, but this salad will also work with a soft pinot noir, which is a great match to the beets.
- To make reduced balsamic vinegar, gently boil 3 cups balsamic vinegar 20-30 minutes or until it is syrupy and reduced to about 1/2 cup. Store at room temperature.
- Wash beets well to remove any dirt. Preheat oven to 375°. Place beets in a roasting pan large enough to hold them in one layer and toss with olive oil to coat lightly. Season with salt and pepper and roast for 30-40 minutes or until tender. (Very large beets can take 2 hours or more.) Remove from oven and let beets cool. Rub off skins with a paper towel, slice attractively and set aside.
- While beets are roasting, peel and cut red or yellow onions in thick wedges. Lightly brush with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place in a single layer along with olives and roast uncovered along with beets until onions are crisp tender and lightly browned, about 15-20 minutes. Set aside.
- To serve, arrange greens on plates and top with beets, onions, olives, and slices of goat cheese. Drizzle a few drops of olive oil and reduced balsamic vinegar over the top and around salad along with a grinding or two of black pepper.
PER SERVING: 278 cal, 17g fat, 22mg chol, 24g carb, 10g protein