Who knew that pie could be so nutrient packed?
Serves 12 / The keys to this decadent raw treat are very fresh nuts and moist dates; buy them in bulk from a store with high turnover, or look for prepackaged varieties. If macadamia nuts are expensive or hard to find, substitute cashews in the crust. Fresh mixed berries are best, but if necessary, substitute two 10-ounce packages of frozen mixed berries, thawed.
- 2 cups raw cashews, soaked for 4 hours
- 10 pitted medjool dates (soak in water if very firm or dry), divided
- 1/2 cup raw macadamia nuts
- 3/4 cup raw walnuts
- 1/2 cup raisins (soak if dry; drain)
- ½ teaspoon coconut oil
- 1½ cups small to medium fresh strawberries, hulled, divided
- 3 cups mixed fresh berries (blackberries, blueberries, or mulberries), hulled, divided
- 2 tablespoons raw, unfiltered honey
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup whole mint leaves, for garnish
1. Soak cashews in water for 4 hours. Rinse and drain.
2. Place 3 dates in a small bowl and cover completely with 1/2 cup water. Let stand for 30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in a food processor, combine remaining 7 dates, macadamia nuts, walnuts, and raisins. Process on high until mixture starts to form a ball, scraping sides as needed. Lightly coat a 9-inch glass pie dish with coconut oil; press nut mixture evenly into dish, crimping top edges. Chill.
4. Remove dates from soaking water, reserving water. In a food processor, combine soaked and drained dates and cashews, 1 cup strawberries, 2 cups mixed berries, honey, and vanilla. Process 3 minutes until smooth and creamy, adding soaking water from dates if needed. Add remaining 1 cup mixed berries and pulse until berries are chopped small but still visible. Spoon filling into crust, smooth top, and freeze for 1 hour.
5. Remove pie from freezer and arrange remaining 1/2 cup strawberries (sliced or whole) around perimeter. Tuck one or two mint leaves between strawberries. Slice into thin wedges and serve. (If making ahead, remove from freezer at least 30 minutes before serving.)
PER SERVING: 299 cal, 19g fat (9g mono, 5g poly, 3g sat), 0mg chol, 7g protein, 32g carb, 5g fiber, 5mg sodium