Rainier Cherry Tart with Cougar Gold CheeseFrank Magaña, chef
- Serves: 12 people
- Calories per serving: 198
When yellow Rainiers are at their peak, this gorgeous dessert is a must (you can also make it with red cherries, of course). Just a hint of sharp cheddar adds a unique, unexpected element. “I like a slice topped with salted caramel or vanilla ice cream,” says chef Frank Magaña.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Roll out piecrust and fit into bottom and up sides of a 10-inch tart pan. Prick crust with a fork; refrigerate for 15 minutes. Line crust with aluminum foil or parchment paper and cover with uncooked rice or beans. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove foil and rice or beans; bake 5-10 minutes more, until lightly golden. (This process is called blind baking.) Remove from oven; reduce oven heat to 350°. Allow crust to cool for about 5 minutes.
- While crust bakes, in a bowl toss together cherries, raisins, brown sugar, lemon zest and juice, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cornstarch.
- Make topping: In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, flour, oats, and almonds; cut in cold butter until a coarse consistency. Do not overmix.
- Spoon cherry mixture into prebaked tart shell. Top with cheese crumbles and topping mixture. Bake for 25-35 minutes; watch carefully so topping doesn't get too dark. Allow to cool for at least 20 minutes before serving.
PER SERVING: 198 cal, 10g fat (4g mono, 2g poly, 4g sat), 9mg chol, 4g protein, 25g carb, 3 fi ber, 108mg sodium