Pumpkin Pie with Walnut CrustLaurie Gauguin | Delicious Living
- Serves: 12 people
- Calories per serving: 216
This delicious, press-in crust has a sandy texture similar to a graham cracker crust. To prevent it from getting soggy, store pie at room temperature instead of refrigerating. It will keep well for two days at room temperature; five days refrigerated. Ingredient tip: Be sure your spices are fresh for maximum flavor. Serving tip: The orange-scented, tofu-and-yogurt topping nicely balances the sweet pie; but you can indulge in whipped cream, of course.
- To make Orange Whipped Topping: Combine all topping ingredients in a food processor and puree until smooth. Cover and refrigerate. (It will thicken when cooled.)
- To make crust: Preheat oven to 350˚. Toast walnuts on a baking sheet until fragrant, 10-15 minutes. Cool. Place walnuts, flours, sugar, and salt in a food processor and process until nuts are finely ground. In a small bowl, whisk together oil and evaporated milk until smooth. Drizzle oil mixture into nut mixture while pulsing the food processor. Process until just combined. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Oil and flour a deep 9-inch pie plate, tapping out excess flour. Press crust evenly into bottom and sides of pie plate (do not press onto rim). Prick all over with a fork. Bake on middle rack until edges are lightly browned and crust is firm, 25-35 minutes. Pass egg white through a strainer, shaking to leave the thick part behind. Mix with a pinch of salt, then liberally brush crust with egg white. Return to oven until crust has a sheen and egg white is dry, 5- 7 minutes. (This will help the crust stay firm when adding pumpkin mixture.) Cool completely, about 40 minutes.
- To make filling: Combine sugar, pumpkin, maple syrup, salt, ginger, and cinnamon in a food processor. Puree until smooth. Add milk, egg white, and whole egg. Process just until smooth. Pour pumpkin mixture into cooled crust. Bake at 350˚ on middle rack until center no longer wiggles when pie is lightly shaken, about 1 hour. Cool completely. Serve each slice with a spoonful of whipped topping.
PER SERVING (with 1 tablespoon topping): 216 cal, 42% fat cal, 10g fat, 1g sat fat, 22mg chol, 5g protein, 27g carb, 2g fiber, 126mg sodium