Polenta Souffle with RampsDL Staff | Delicious Living
- Serves: 6 people
Delicious as an appetizer or side dish, this easy souffle gets a flavor lift from ramps (aka wild leeks), an early-spring member of the cancer-fighting allium family. If you don't have ramps, substitute fresh green onions.
- Preheat oven to 350º. Lightly oil six 4-ounce ramekins.
- In a medium saucepan, bring water to a boil and whisk in grits. Reduce heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until grits begin to thicken, about 5 minutes. Stir in cheese, salt and pepper to taste.
- Whip egg whites into stiff peaks. Fold into warm grits in thirds until incorporated. Transfer to ramekins; bake 20-25 minutes or until risen.
- Meanwhile, whisk until blended lemon juice, zest, oil, and salt and pepper to taste. Peel and clean ramps; brush with olive oil and grill or broil until tender, 5 minutes.
- When soufflés are done, turn onto plates, top with ramps, and drizzle with vinaigrette.
PER SERVING: 190 cal, 10g fat (5g mono, 3g poly, 2g sat), 4mg chol, 5g protein, 20g carb, 1g fiber, 300mg sodium