Parmigiano Reggiano FlanDelicious Living Staff
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 45 mins
- Serves: 8 people
- Calories per serving: 305
Like all recipes in northern Italy, this flan was once richly robed in butter and cream. Jeanne Jones, a syndicated food columnist, created this healthier, lighter version.
- Preheat oven to 300º Spray eight half-cup ramekins with cooking spray.
- In a medium saucepan, bring milk to a boil over medium-high heat.
- In a 2-quart saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour and nutmeg and stir constantly for 3 minutes. Do not brown. Add the boiling milk all at once, stirring constantly with a whisk. Continue to cook and stir for two more minutes. Remove from the heat and cool slightly.
- Pour the mixture into a blender and mix until satin smooth. Pour this into a large bowl. Add the whole eggs one at a time, stirring well after each addition. Add the egg whites, a little at a time, again stirring constantly after each addition. Add the grated cheese and mix until smooth.
- Spoon about 1/2 cup of the cheese mixture into each prepared ramekin. Place the filled ramekins in a large baking pan. Add hot water to a depth of 1 inch. Place the pan in the preheated oven and bake for about 30 minutes, or until the flan is set and lightly browned.
Per Serving: Calories 305,Fat 9,Perfat 26,Cholesterol 10,Carbo 42,Protein 16,Fiber N/A,Sodium N/A