Oatmeal Herb BreadStaff | Delicious Living
Makes 2 loaves / Mix fresh herbs with a little flour to prevent them from clumping together. If fresh herbs are not available, substitute 1 teaspoon dried herbs.
- Scald milk. Add oats, honey, and butter. Stir, cover, and cool to 110º.
- Heat water to about 110º. In a large bowl, sprinkle yeast over water. Combine herbs and whole-wheat flour, then add to yeast with milk mixture, salt, and 2 cups all-purpose flour. Beat vigorously. Add flour, a little at a time, until dough pulls away from bowl sides.
- Turn dough onto a floured work surface and knead until smooth and elastic. Place in an oiled bowl and turn to coat. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Grease two 8x4-inch loaf pans. Sprinkle sides and bottom of pans with some additional oats. Turn dough onto a lightly oiled work surface; divide in half. Shape each half into a loaf. Place dough in prepared pans. Cover and let rise until almost doubled.
- Preheat oven to 375º. Just before baking, beat together egg and water and brush over top of each loaf. Sprinkle with remaining oats. Bake 30 minutes, or until done. Immediately remove from pans and cool on racks.