Mung Bean & Butternut Squash Soup with CardamomDelicious Living Staff
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 3 mins
- Total Time: 33 mins
- Serves: 8 people
f you want to go the extra mile preparing this scrumptious carotenoid-rich soup (cooked squash is especially rich in breast-protective carotenoids), replace pre-made, organic vegetable stock with homemade vegetable stock.
- Reconstitute kombu by wiping gently with a damp cloth, covering with water, and soaking for 20 minutes.
- In a large soup pot, combine vegetable stock, mung beans and squash. Add the reconstituted kombu. Bring to a boil. Turn heat down to medium and cook for about 20 minutes, skimming off any foam that appears.
- Cook for a couple of hours on medium heat. During the cooking process, you can begin pureeing the beans and squash by pressing down gently with a wooden pestle.
- After the ingredients have broken down and combined, add the salt, yogurt, garam masala, cinnamon and pepper, stirring well.
- In a small saucer, add 3 tablespoons of the soup to the miso and puree the miso. Add mixture to the pot and stir.
- In a small saucepan, gently roast cardamom seeds over medium heat, stirring, for 8 to 10 minutes. Crush the seeds in a food processor. Add the roasted, crushed cardamom seeds to the soup. Stir, adjust seasonings and serve.