Multigrain Pilaf with Persian SpicesCheryl Sternman Rule | Delicious Living
- Serves: 6 people
- Calories per serving: 201
Heady spices — cinnamon, cardamom, and mint — flavor this pistachio- and currant-studded pilaf. The combination of grains provides significant protein and cholesterol-lowering soluble fiber.
- Combine barley and groats in a small strainer; rinse well. Transfer to a 4-quart saucepan. Add water and salt, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add quinoa to pot. Cook 15 minutes longer, or until grains are tender and water is completely absorbed. Transfer to a large, shallow bowl and allow to cool slightly.
- In a nonstick saucepan, heat oil over medium-low heat. Add onion and sauté, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, or until translucent. Add cardamom, cinnamon, and pepper; cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute longer.
- Add onion-spice mixture and honey to grains, stirring thoroughly to combine. Stir in currants, pistachios, and chopped mint. Garnish with whole mint leaves, and serve warm or at room temperature.
|Nutrition Facts Per Serving (1/2 cup):|
|Calories: 201 calories|
|% fat calories: 28|
|Saturated Fat: 1g|