Mediterranean Ratatouille Serves 8
Enjoy the last of summer's bounty with this hearty French vegetable stew made with eggplant and zucchini. Ratatouille can be served as an entree over polenta, rice or pasta. Recycle leftovers into lasagna. Or pile it on a pizza and top with grated mozzarella-style soy cheese.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 35 to 40 minutes
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 large onions, chopped
2 large green bell peppers, diced
2 large eggplants, cubed
4 large zucchini, cubed
2 16-ounce cans chopped tomatoes in puree
1 6-ounce can tomato paste
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons dried basil
1/4 cup fresh parsley and dill combined (reserve a tablespoon of each for garnish)
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
Black pepper to taste
Parmesan cheese, grated
1. Heat oil in a large saucepan or soup pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and green pepper and sauté 5 minutes.
2. Add eggplant, cover and cook 5 minutes.
3. Stir in zucchini, tomatoes, tomato paste, garlic and basil. Simmer mixture gently 20 to 25 minutes.
4. Stir in parsley and dill, balsamic vinegar and pepper. Cook 5 minutes more, stirring occasionally.
5. Serve garnished with chopped parsley, dill and grated Parmesan cheese.
Jeanne Peters is a Registered Dietitian and a busy mother of three kids. She's chair of the California Dietetic Association Vegetarian Nutrition Practice Group.