Mandarin Orange and Ganache TartFran Costigan | Delicious Living
- Prep Time: 40 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 55 mins
- Serves: 16 people
- Calories per serving: 267
Ganache typically contains heavy cream and butter, but this luxurious vegan version uses only dark chocolate, nondairy milk, and a touch of vanilla. It’s a must to stay within the cocoa percentages listed to ensure the filling sets up properly. For more intense orange flavor, add a few drops of orange extract or ½ teaspoon orange liqueur to the ganache. Save time by using any vegan cookie-crumb crust available in natural foods stores.
- Make crust (can be done 1 day ahead): Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place a 9-inch tart pan with removable bottom on baking sheet. Coat with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, sift flours, cinnamon, and salt. Add almond meal and whisk to aerate. In a small bowl, whisk oil, syrup, and extracts. Pour over dry mixture and stir with a spatula until crumbs are evenly moistened. Squeeze a little between your fingers to see if it can be pressed. If too dry, add more oil. Spoon mixture into prepared pan. Cover with plastic wrap, and then press firmly and evenly on bottom and up pan sides (a metal measuring cup can help). Be sure crust is not too thick where sides and bottom meet. Refrigerate 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350˚. Remove plastic wrap and bake crust 15–18 minutes until light golden brown. Be careful when removing from oven; it’s fragile when hot but firms up when cool. Once cool, wrap and refrigerate.
- Make ganache: Put 9 ounces chocolate in a medium heatproof bowl. Pour milk into a small saucepan, add salt, and bring to a low boil over medium heat. Remove from heat. Wait 30 seconds; milk should be very hot but not scalding (test a few drops on your wrist). Pour <i>all at once</i> over chocolate. Add vanilla. Swirl bowl to submerge chocolate. Wait 1 minute; then whisk until chocolate is completely melted, glossy, and smooth. Do not stir longer or chocolate may turn gritty. Pour ganache into crust. Let set 15 minutes at room temperature, and then refrigerate until firm. (Ganache can be made up to 2 weeks ahead; refrigerate, covered, and then reheat in a bowl set over simmering water until pourable.)
- An hour before serving, remove tart from refrigerator. Melt remaining 1 ounce chocolate. Keep warm.
- Arrange orange sections over ganache in concentric circles, covering completely. Drizzle melted chocolate over oranges. Chill briefly to set. (Store up to 1 day; remove from refrigerator 10 minutes before serving.)
PER SERVING: 267 cal, 13g fat (4g mono, 1g poly, 7g sat), 1mg chol, 4g protein, 27g carb, 3g fiber, 52mg sodium