What is in this article?:
- Luscious, light desserts
- 5 tips for lighter desserts
If you think the words healthy and dessert simply don't go together, prepare to be delighted and surprised. In these light, easy-to-make desserts, rich-tasting, wholesome ingredients combine wonderfully to please any sweet tooth, without gluten, dairy, or the sugar or fat overload found in many holiday treats.
5 tips for lighter desserts
1. Use vanilla yogurt instead of whipped cream on pies, crisps, and cobblers.
2. Serve in-season fruit (apples, pears, persimmons) with a little high-quality goat cheese instead of something heavy and complicated.
3. Bake or poach seasonal fruit in sweet wine or fruit juice, rather than topping with a sugary crust or crumble.
4. Indulge in all-fruit sorbet instead of ice cream for a fraction of the fat and calories.
5. Serve desserts on very small plates or in ramekins; even an overflowing amount will be less than usual.
Elana Amsterdam is the founder of elanaspantry.com, where she shares weekly recipes and meal-planning tips. She is the author of The Gluten-Free Almond Flour Cookbook (Celestial Arts, 2009).