Leek and Broccoli SoupAlan Roettinger
- Serves: 4 people
This recipe includes both broccoli tops and stems for maximum health benefit. The tops are slightly undercooked, preserving nutrients and their bright-green color. Garnish the soup with vegan Parmesan shreds, if desired.
- Cut broccoli tops off stems. Select 1½ cups of the tiniest florets and set aside. Chop remaining florets coarsely. Chop stems into small pieces.
- Place oil in a large pot over medium-high heat; add onion and leek. Stir for about 5 minutes, until vegetables begin to soften, and then add chopped stems. Cook and stir for 2 minutes, and then add water and bouillon cubes. Bring to a boil.
- While water comes to a boil, peel potato, cut into matchsticks or thin semicircles, and add to pot; stir well. Reduce heat to simmer, cover, and cook for about 17 minutes, or until vegetables are very tender. Add broccoli tops; cook another 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil and prepare a bowl of iced water. Boil tiny florets for 30–60 seconds. Drain in a colander and then drop into iced water. Drain; spread on a towel to dry.
- Working in batches, purée soup in a blender. Return to pot and reheat, stirring often. Stir in pepper and nutmeg or mace. Taste and adjust seasonings. Add reserved tiny florets and stir until hot. Serve at once, garnished with parsley.
PER SERVING: 163 cal, 4g fat (0g mono, 0g poly, 4g sat), 0mg chol, 7g protein, 26g carb, 6g fiber, 129mg sodium