Jamaican Whitefish with Spicy SlawLisa Turner | Delicious Living
- Serves: 4 people
- Calories per serving: 298
Bagged, shredded slaw mix speeds up prep time, for little money. Choose an economical but flavorful fish, like cod, and look for thinner fillets that marinate and cook quickly. If you can’t find a Scotch bonnet pepper, substitute another serrano for a milder flavor or a habañero for a spicier one. Wear rubber gloves or insert your hands into plastic bags when mincing the peppers. Serve with warm corn tortillas and avocado wedges. Cost per serving: $5.
Gluten Free, Quick
- Combine ginger, sugar, allspice, cumin, salt, garlic, sliced Scotch bonnet pepper, orange juice, and juice from 1 lime in a blender or small food processor. Purée until smooth. Pour mixture over fish in a glass or ceramic dish, turning to coat both sides. Let stand for 30 minutes, turning once.
- While fish marinates, juice 2 limes in a medium bowl (cut remaining lime into wedges and set aside). Whisk mayonnaise and agave or honey into lime juice. Add slaw mix, scallions, and minced serrano (if using); toss to mix. Chop enough cilantro leaves to make ¼ cup and add to slaw. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large skillet or grill pan with olive oil over medium heat. Remove fish from marinade and cook for 3 minutes, until lightly browned. Turn fish and sear on remaining side for 2–5 minutes (depending on thickness), until fish is opaque and flakes easily.
- Divide fish and slaw among plates. Garnish with extra cilantro and lime wedges. Serve hot.
PER SERVING: 298 cal, 14g fat (7g mono, 5g poly, 2g sat), 41mg chol, 24g protein, 24g carb, 6g fiber, 253mg sodium.