Healthier Red Velvet CupcakesStaff | Delicious Living
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Serves: 10 people
- Calories per serving: 352
These moist cupcakes use spelt flour for a lighter texture, more protein, and fewer calories than wheat flour. Avoid artificial colors by using vegetable-based food coloring; or make your own.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a muffin tin with 8–10 cupcake liners or coat with cooking spray.
- Place flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Sift cocoa powder into bowl. Whisk until well blended.
- Place sugar, oil, and eggs in a large bowl. Whisk until smooth. Add buttermilk, vanilla, lemon juice, and food coloring. Whisk lightly until combined.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and stir just until mixture comes together. Be sure you don’t overmix.
- Gently spoon batter into muffin cups. Bake 10 minutes and test with a toothpick. If it doesn’t come out clean, turn pans and bake another 3–5 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool on rack for 2 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely before frosting. (Or store in an airtight container until ready to frost. Do not refrigerate, which dries them out.)
- Beat cream cheese, agave, and vanilla together. Sift cornstarch over mixture and blend until smooth. Frost cupcakes just before serving.
PER SERVING: 352 cal, 18g fat (2g mono, 1g poly, 15g sat), 16mg chol, 6g protein, 40g carb, 4g fiber, 258mg sodium