Grilled Tomatoes, Eggplant, and Radicchio with QuinoaTrina Kaufman | Delicious Living
- Serves: 6 people
- Calories per serving: 270
This hearty vegetarian dish is full of late-summer flavors: ripe tomatoes, aromatic basil, and the smoke of the grill. Prep tip: “Chiffonade” means cut into ribbons. Simply stack dry basil leaves, roll up tightly lengthwise, and then cut crosswise into thin strips.
- Preheat grill to medium. When grill is ready, you should be able to hold your hand 1 inch over it for about 6 seconds.
- Place a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add quinoa and dry-toast, stirring constantly, until aromatic and starting to pop, about 7 minutes. Add garlic and stir 1 minute. Add broth (or water) and salt. Cover and bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer until liquid has been absorbed, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat, let stand 5 minutes, and then fluff with a fork.
- Meanwhile, cut radicchio through core into quarters, leaving core intact. Cut heirloom tomatoes in half around equator. Slice eggplant crosswise into 1/2-inch rounds. Brush cut vegetables and whole plum tomatoes all over with 1 tablespoon olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Oil grill well. Place halved tomatoes cut side down over hottest part of fire; sear for 3 minutes before turning, and then cook another 2 minutes. Grill whole tomatoes, turning occasionally, until skin is lightly charred and blistered, 5–6 minutes total. Grill radicchio 2–3 minutes per side. Grill and turn eggplant as often as needed to prevent burning. Transfer vegetables to a platter once tender.
- Remove cores from plum tomatoes and place in blender with vinegar, 3 tablespoons olive oil, half of basil, and salt and black pepper to taste. (Makes 1 ½ cups.)
- Remove cores from radicchio quarters; arrange each quarter-head on a plate, fanning out leaves. Toss remaining basil with quinoa. Mound quinoa in center of plates, atop radicchio. Arrange slices of eggplant and a tomato half on each plate and drizzle all generously with plum tomato vinaigrette. Dot each plate with goat cheese, garnish with basil, and serve.
PER SERVING: 270 cal, 43% fat cal, 14g fat, 3g sat fat, 4mg chol, 8g protein, 32g carb, 6g fiber, 292mg sodium