Serves 6 / Similar to but healthier than traditional naan, this is grilled over a charcoal, gas, or stovetop grill. Prep tip: For flavor and flair, top with sesame seeds, green onions, or sautéed shallots and garlic.
¾ cup very warm water
2 tablespoons unrefined cane sugar
1 packet (0.25 ounce) active dry yeast
3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
1½ teaspoons salt
1 egg, beaten
3 tablespoons melted ghee or unsalted butter, plus more for brushing
½ cup plain low-fat yogurt
- Whisk water, sugar, and yeast together in a small dish. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Using a fork, mix flours and salt together in a large bowl. Stir yeast mixture, egg, melted ghee or butter, and yogurt into flour, mixing until it starts to come together to form a soft, sticky dough. Generously flour a work surface and knead dough for about 3 minutes, adding more flour 1 tablespoon at a time until dough is smooth and elastic (you may need 3-4 additional tablespoons). It should remain soft and light, yet should no longer stick to fingers.
- Brush a little melted ghee into original bowl and transfer dough ball to bowl, turning over once to coat. Cover with a clean kitchen towel and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Punch dough down and divide into golf ball-size rounds. Flatten each into a disc and roll into ¼-inch-thick ovals. Let dough rest 10 minutes.
- Fire up a gas or charcoal grill, or heat a stovetop grill over medium-high heat. Brush a little melted ghee onto each oval. Place buttered side down onto hot grill. Grill 3 minutes, until puffy and grill marks are showing. Butter tops, then flip and grill another 2-3 minutes. Fold and serve warm.
PER SERVING: 398 cal, 19% fat cal, 8g fat, 4g sat fat, 53mg chol, 11g protein, 68g carb, 4g fiber, 608mg sodium