Yields 6 cups. Your kids will love the crunchy, sweet taste of this granola for breakfast, as a quick snack or as a topping on yogurt. Parents, you'll love knowing this recipe provides plenty of vitamin E and fiber-rich ingredients. It's also lower in sugar than many store-bought versions.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
4 1/2 cups rolled oats
1/4 cup wheat bran
1/2 cup wheat germ
1/4 cup nuts or seeds (try a combo such as sunflower or sesame seeds and walnuts)
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup apple juice
1/2 cup assorted, chopped dried fruit such as apricots, apples or figs
2 tablespoons canola oil
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9" x 13" pan with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, mix together oats, bran, germ, nuts and cinnamon.
3. Blend honey, canola oil and juice. Add mixture to oats and stir until well-coated.
4. Spread granola onto a baking sheet and cook 25 minutes, stirring a few times so that granola browns evenly. Remove from oven and let the granola cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes.
5. Add dried fruit when mixture cools. Store in an air-tight container.