Fresh Berry CupsDelicious Living | Delicious Living
- Serves: 12 people
- Calories per serving: 206
Ounce for ounce, berries offer the biggest nutrient punch of any fruit, with few calories. These sweet berry desserts provide built-in portion control, and using cooking spray rather than butter to keep the phyllo moist lowers the fat count. Choose your favorite berry combination; adding blackberries or blueberries will give the sauce a deep, rich hue. If using strawberries, chop or cut large ones into pieces similar in size to the other berries. Serve with vanilla frozen yogurt, if desired.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Toss 4 cups berries with 1/4 cup liqueur and brown rice syrup. Set aside.
- Carefully place one sheet of phyllo pastry on a work surface; keep remaining sheets covered between two damp kitchen towels to prevent drying out. Lightly spray sheet on work surface with cooking spray; cover with another sheet of dough. Repeat with two more sheets. Cut dough into six squares. Repeat with remaining four sheets. (Extra phyllo dough can be wrapped tightly, sealed in a plastic bag, and frozen for future use.)
- Tuck each phyllo pastry square into a lightly greased muffin tin and bake for 5–7 minutes, until crisp and golden. Remove from tin and cool on a wire rack.
- Place remaining 3 cups berries in a medium saucepan with 1/4 cup water. Cook over medium heat until berries form a saucelike consistency. Press through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl using the back of a wooden spoon. Discard pulp; transfer juice back to the saucepan. Add 3 tablespoons liqueur and sugar. Cook until sugar dissolves, about 5 minutes. Spoon a little sauce into a small dish and stir in arrowroot until smooth. Add to pan and continue cooking and stirring until thickened, about 1 minute; adjust sweetness as desired. Remove from heat.
- Spoon berry sauce into center of each dessert plate. Fill phyllo cups with berries and place on plates. Serve with additional sauce on the side.
PER SERVING: 206 cal, 1g fat (0g mono, 0g poly, 0g sat), 0mg chol, 2g protein, 25g carb, 2g fiber, 61mg sodium