Curried Apple-Coconut BreadStaff | Delicious Living
- Calories per serving: 113
Makes 1 large braid / This beautiful bread makes a good accompaniment to all meats and most vegetables. You can substitute 2 cups whole-wheat flour for the all-purpose flour for an extremely tasty result, but you won't get the same vibrant yellow color. Unless the apple skins are tough, I like to leave them intact for additional fiber.
- Heat water to about 110°. In a large bowl, sprinkle yeast over water. Heat milk to about 110° and add to yeast mixture along with beaten egg, butter, sugar, curry, salt, and 3 cups flour. Beat vigorously. Add apple, currants, and coconut. Beat to combine. Add flour, a little at a time, until dough pulls away from bowl sides.
- Turn dough onto a floured work surface and knead until smooth and elastic. Place in an oiled bowl and turn to coat. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Turn dough onto a lightly oiled work surface and divide into thirds. Roll each piece of dough into a 22-inch-long rope. Lay ropes side by side. Braid ropes, starting in the center and working toward both ends. Pinch ends together and tuck under. Carefully lift braid and place on a parchment-lined or well-greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise until almost doubled.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Beat egg with water and brush on braid. Bake 45 minutes, or until done. Immediately remove from baking sheet and cool on a rack.
Calories 113,Fat 3,Perfat 22,Sat Fat 3g,Cholesterol 16mg,Carbo 19,Protein 3,Fiber 1,Sodium 138mg