Crispy Salmon Cakes with Herbed Yogurtjrubino
- Serves: 4 people
These cakes put leftover cooked salmon to delicious use as a pretty lunch or light dinner rich in beneficial omega-3s. Accompany with lemon wedges over salad greens drizzled with olive oil and lemon juice.
- Prepare salmon cakes: In a large bowl, flake salmon with a fork. Add green onions, bell pepper, jalapeño, lemon zest, mustard, egg whites, mayonnaise, and 1 cup panko. Stir with a fork to combine lightly. Form mixture into 8 cakes, each roughly 3 inches in diameter and 1/2-inch thick.
- Combine remaining 1/2 cup panko with black pepper on a large plate. Working carefully and with one hand, press both sides of each cake into panko, squeezing the mixture gently so that it does not crumble. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes while preparing herbed yogurt.
- For herbed yogurt: Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Allow to sit at room temperature, covered, 30–45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Spray a foil-lined baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1/2 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat until nearly smoking. Working in batches, brown cakes well on both sides, then remove to prepared baking sheet. Repeat with additional cakes in remaining oil. Transfer cakes to the hot oven for 7–9 minutes, or until heated through. Drizzle with herbed yogurt and serve.
PER SERVING (2 cakes, 1/4 cup yogurt): 336 cal, 30% fat cal, 11g fat, 2g sat fat, 66mg chol, 34g protein, 24g carb, 2g fiber, 237mg sodium