Cornmeal BiscuitsAdrienne Lee
- Serves: 9 people
- Calories per serving: 191
These tender biscuits are easy to make, and they taste wonderful alongside a bowl of soup or by themselves with a spot of jam. We recommend King Arthur Flour’s nut-free GF blend, but you can substitute your own mix or favorite brand. Some GF fl our blends do not include xanthan gum, but if yours does, omit from the ingredients below.
- Preheat oven to 425*. Pour milk into a small glass; stir in lemon juice. Let sit at room temperature for 10 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, comine flour, corn flour, xanthan gum (if using), baking powder, and baking soda. Cut vegan butter spread into flour mixture until mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- Using a fork, stir in enough reserved soured milk so the dough leaves the sides of the bowl and rounds up into a ball. (Too much milk makes the dough sticky; not enough makes it dry. You may have some left over.) Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and push together. Roll or pat dough into a 3/4-inch-thick circle and cut with a floured 2 1/2-inch biscuit cutter. Place biscuits on a dry baking sheet, 1 inch apart for crusty sides or touching for softer sides.
- Bake on center rack for 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown. Transfer to cooling rack. Serve warm.
PER SERVING: 191 cal, 8g fat (4g mono, 2g poly, 2g sat), 0mg chol, 2g protein, 24g carb, 1g fi ber, 416mg sodium