Coconut ice cream with grilled pineappleAlan Roettinger | Delicious Living
- Serves: 8 people
Coconut provides natural sweetness, greatly reducing the amount of sugar required.
- Combine ¼ cup almond milk and cornstarch in a small bowl and mix well. Set aside.
- Bring remaining almond milk to a boil in a large saucepan with sugar, stirring until dissolved. Add shredded coconut. Stir well until mixture returns to boil. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. Strain into a bowl, pressing coconut firmly to extract as much milk as possible.
- Transfer milk to a clean saucepan and add coconut milk and salt. Bring to a simmer. Stir cornstarch mixture and add to pan, whisking to combine. Keep stirring until mixture thickens slightly. Remove from heat and allow to cool, stirring occasionally. Refrigerate until cold.
- Preheat grill. Stir agave and oil together until emulsified; brush onto pineapple slices. Grill for 2 minutes; turn and grill other sides for 1–2 minutes. Remove and allow to cool.
- Pour mixture into an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions. Scrape into a container and place in freezer to firm up before serving. Serve on grilled pineapple disks.
PER SERVING (1/2 cup plus 1 slice pineapple): 171 cal, 5g fat (1g mono, 0g poly, 3g sat), 0mg chol, 1g protein, 31g carb, 3g fiber, 84mg sodium