Salsa made from frozen fruit adds a snappy flavor to easy-to-cook boneless chicken breasts. Serving tip: Accompany with a side of braised greens or green beans.
Salsa made from frozen fruit adds a snappy flavor to easy-to-cook boneless chicken breasts.
Serving tip: Accompany with a side of braised greens or green beans.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken half-breasts
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups frozen mango cubes, partially thawed and chopped
- 2 cups frozen pitted sour cherries, partially thawed and chopped
- 8 slender green onions, sliced, mostly white parts with some green
- 2 small Serrano peppers, seeded and finely chopped (or more to taste)
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- Juice from 1 medium lime
- Pinch of salt
- Fresh cilantro sprigs, for garnish
1. Wash chicken breasts, pat dry, and sprinkle both sides with salt, pepper, and paprika.
2. Coat a large skillet with cooking spray and add oil; heat on medium. Brown chicken breasts on each side.
3. Add 1/2 cup of the chicken broth; cover and cook on medium heat for 4 minutes, then turn and cook until done, 8-12 minutes, depending on thickness. Add more broth if needed.
4. While chicken is cooking, place mango, cherries, green onions, Serrano pepper, cilantro, lime juice, and salt in a bowl; stir to mix. (Makes 2 cups.)
5. Transfer chicken to serving plates and top with mango-cherry salsa. Garnish with cilantro sprigs.
PER SERVING (with 1/2 cup salsa): 261 cal, 19% fat cal, 6g fat, 1g sat fat, 68mg chol, 29g protein, 25g carb, 4g fiber, 155mg sodium