Chia-Crusted Tofu with Cauliflower MashMatthew Kadey, RD | Delicious Living
- Serves: 4 people
- Calories per serving: 316
Chia seeds lend tofu a crunchy crust that is packed with fiber and good fats. (You can substitute sesame seeds if you like.) Sprinkle chia seeds into the mashed cauliflower for extra fiber. Grated sharp cheddar cheese, minced chives, and nutmeg are also welcome mash additions.
- Rinse tofu under cold water and slice in half lengthwise. Wrap in a double layer of paper towels and place on a plate. Place a second plate on top and let sit at least 15 minutes to press out excess water.
- Meanwhile, steam or microwave cauliflower according to package directions until very tender. Using a food processor or potato masher, mash cauliflower with milk, garlic, butter, thyme, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper until smooth. Cover to keep warm.
- On a plate, mix chia seeds, cayenne, lime zest, and remaining salt and pepper. Slice tofu pieces crosswise to yield four blocks. Brush each side with sesame oil. Press each side of tofu into chia mixture to coat thoroughly.
- Heat vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat. Sear tofu blocks until crisp and golden brown, about 5 minutes on each side. Serve at once with cauliflower mash.
PER SERVING: 316 cal, 57% fat cal, 21g fat, 6g sat fat, 16mg chol, 17g protein, 19g carb, 10g fiber, 645mg sodium