Butter Lettuce and Apple Salad with Seared ScallopsAlan Roettinger | Delicious Living
- Serves: 2 people
- Calories per serving: 185
Prep tips: The secrets to this salad are a very crisp apple and a very hot pan for searing the scallops. (If you like, double the number of scallops to make this a heartier entree.) Prepare the lettuce and dressing the day before, but bring the dressing to room temperature before serving. Don't be tempted to get ahead on anything else; this dish only sparkles when everything is very fresh.
- Whisk all dressing ingredients together until emulsified. Set aside.
- Peel apple and cut into matchsticks. Toss in a small bowl with 1 teaspoon lemon juice. Cover and refrigerate until serving time. Remove outer lettuce leaves and reserve for another use. Separate inner leaves and cut in half lengthwise. (You should have just two large handfuls, or 1¾ ounces, of lettuce.) Wash and spin dry. Wrap in a towel, cover, and refrigerate until serving time.
- Just before serving, place lettuce in a large bowl. Add sliced shallots and apple matchsticks with lemon juice. Add half of the dressing, toss well, and taste. Add more dressing if needed, and toss again. Mound nicely on two salad plates.
- Place a nonstick skillet over high heat and add ghee or oil. When pan is very hot, add scallops, flat side down. They should hiss wildly. Cook until golden brown, then turn and sear other side. The whole process should take only 1-2 minutes.
- Place two scallops on each salad. Sprinkle cashews around, then chives. Grind a little pepper over the salad and serve at once.
PER SERVING: 185 cal, 57% fat cal, 12g fat, 3g sat fat, 9mg chol, 5g protein, 17g carb, 2g fiber, 169mg sodium