Bulgur and Black Bean Salad with Grilled Corn and ChiliesStaff | Delicious Living
- Serves: 8 people
A couple handfuls of mesquite chips on the grill really bring out the flavor of the chilies and corn in this hearty dish. Garnish with a slice of avocado and/or a spoonful of salsa.
- Light a fire in the charcoal grill or preheat a gas grill to medium-high. When the fire is hot, lay the chilies, corn and tomato on the rack. Cover and grill, turning them occasionally. Leave corn on the grill until light charred marks are evenly distributed, about 8 to 10 minutes. Remove tomato when it is softened and lightly charred on the edges, about 5 minutes. Set them aside to cool.
- Leave the chilies on the grill until they are charred all over — about 8 minutes. Place the hot chilies in a plastic bag to steam until they are cool enough to touch.
- In a medium saucepan, bring 1-3/4 cups of water to a boil. Add the bulgur and salt, cover, reduce the heat to low, and cook until the bulgur has absorbed all the water. This will take about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, while preparing vegetables.
- Remove the corn from the cob. Rub away the burned skin of the chilies and chop fine. Dice the tomato. Add all these vegetables to a large salad bowl. Add the bulgur, beans, green onions, cilantro, olive oil, and vinegar. Season with a generous grinding of black pepper.
- Toss all ingredients and set aside for 30 minutes. Serve at room temperature.