Buckwheat-Eggplant SandwichesAlan Roettinger | Delicious Living
- Prep Time: 8 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Total Time: 48 mins
- Serves: 4 people
- Calories per serving: 378
Buckwheat, a whole-protein, nutrient-dense grain, combines here with Mediterranean flavors for a tasty filling between roasted eggplant slices.
Gluten Free, Vegan
- Preheat oven to 400˚.
- Bring 4 cups salted water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add buckwheat and cook about 15 minutes, or until tender. Drain and set aside.
- Trim eggplants and cut a total of eight ½-inch-thick slices lengthwise from middle portions. Cut remaining portions into roughly ¼-inch dice; reserve. Place slices on a parchment-lined baking sheet and brush lightly on both sides with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Roast until tender and lightly browned, 20–25 minutes.
- Place a large pot over high heat and add remaining 1 tablespoon oil and onion. Cook, stirring often, for about 2 minutes. Add bell pepper and garlic, and stir until very lightly browned. Add reserved diced eggplant and stir until tender, 5–7 minutes. Stir in ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper, then tomato purée and oregano. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook, stirring often, until all vegetables are tender. Add cooked buckwheat; stir to combine and warm through.
- To serve, place one eggplant slice on each of four warm plates. Mound buckwheat mixture on eggplant slices, spreading to cover evenly; flatten slightly. Place remaining eggplant slices on top of buckwheat mixture. Press down lightly. Sprinkle chopped parsley over all and serve at once.