Brined Heritage Turkey with Chipotle GravyElisa Bosley | Delicious Living
- Serves: 10 people
- Calories per serving: 575
Black Cat farm raises Bourbon Red and Broad-Breasted Bronze heritage turkeys. Slower growing than commercial birds, heritage breeds win out with superior flavor. Chipotle peppers, which are ripened, smoked jalapeños, add an alluring smoky spice to the rub and gravy.
- To make brine solution, dissolve salt and sugar in 2 gallons of cold water in a nonreactive container, such as a clean bucket or large stockpot, or a clean, heavy-duty, plastic garbage bag. Add lemons, thyme, rosemary, and juniper. (Double the recipe if using a larger bird.)
- Rinse turkey inside and out under cold running water. Soak turkey in brine, covered and refrigerated, for at least 4 hours and up to 24 hours.
- In a food processor, combine lemon zest, garlic, chipotle peppers, cumin, and sunflower oil. Process into a paste.
- Remove turkey from refrigerator 1 hour before cooking. Preheat oven to 325°. Remove turkey from brine and rinse well under cold running water. Pat dry. Place in a large, heavy roasting pan, and rub on all sides with canola oil. Roast turkey for 1 hour. Remove from oven and baste with pan juices or stock.
- Gently loosen turkey breast skin with hands. Rub lemon-chipotle mixture under and over turkey skin. Return turkey to oven and continue roasting until an instant-read meat thermometer registers 165° when inserted into the largest section of thigh (avoiding the bone), about 2 3/4–3 hours total cooking time. Check to see if breast is browning too quickly; cover with aluminum foil if needed. Baste turkey once every hour with pan juices or stock if desired.
- Remove from the oven and place on a platter. Let rest for 20 minutes before carving.
- While turkey is resting, make gravy: Pour juices from pan into a measuring cup and deglaze pan with wine. In a small pan, melt butter. Whisk in flour and chipotle; cook for 2 minutes. Whisk in 3 cups stock for about 1 minute. Skim fat from measuring cup, add white wine mixture, and add to pot. Stir until smooth and starting to thicken. Add more stock if needed.
PER SERVING (with 1/4 cup gravy): 575 cal, 10g fat (2g mono, 5g poly, 3g sat), 272mg chol, 107g protein, 2g carb, 0g fiber, 582mg sodium