Black Bean Cakes with Orange Basil SalsaDL STAFF | Delicious Living
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 45 mins
- Serves: 6 people
Tomatoes and oranges together in salsa make a great match both for flavor and dynamic color. Serve these hearty bean cakes with a rice pilaf sprinkled with scallions.
- Combine salsa ingredients in a bowl. Let sit at least 1 hour, or up to 8 hours, before using.
- Place 3 cups black beans in a large bowl. Process the remaining 1 cup of beans with the eggs until smooth. Stir this mixture into the whole beans along with the bread crumbs.
- Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and celery and sauté until very tender and beginning to brown, about 10 minutes. Sprinkle on the cumin and cook 1 more minute.
- Scrape the vegetables into the bean mixture and add salt and pepper. Stir to mix well.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly oil a baking sheet. Using a 1/3 cup measuring cup, scoop 12 portions of bean mixture and place on baking sheet. With a knife or your hands, flatten into patties. Bake 10 minutes, flip and bake 10 more minutes. Serve bean cakes with a spoonful of salsa on each.
Note: The dish may be prepared in advance through step 4. Cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours.
Salsa Marinating Time: 1 hour