Asparagus and Red-Pepper StrataStaff | Delicious Living
- Serves: 6 people
This savory egg-and-bread pudding, laden with colorful spring vegetables, can be prepared in advance for an elegant one-dish meal. Serve with a simple green salad and a crisp white wine.
- Preheat oven to 350º. Spray a 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Cut asparagus on the diagonal into 1-inch pieces. Blanch in boiling, salted water for 1 minute, then transfer with a slotted spoon to a bowl of ice water to stop cooking. Drain and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs. Whisk in sour cream, milk, red pepper flakes, white pepper, and basil.
- Place half of the bread cubes in the baking dish, then layer on half of the asparagus, red pepper, mushrooms, onions, and Swiss cheese. Pour half of the egg mixture over the vegetables. Lightly press down with a spatula. Repeat all layers. Top with Parmesan cheese. Press down again and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Bake for 45–50 minutes, until firm in center and lightly browned. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.