Almond Apple PieAlison Anton | Delicious Living
- Serves: 12 people
- Calories per serving: 318
Even newbies have an easy time working this crust; as long as it stays cool, it will behave. Prep tips: If you use waxed paper, swipe your flat surface with a wet sponge so the paper doesn’t slide around while rolling out the dough. The high amount of butter keeps GF crusts from crumbling, but if you’d rather limit fat and calories, omit the top crust, instead covering the pie with foil while baking so it doesn’t dry out.
- To make crusts: Grind almonds in a food processor until a fine meal forms. Whirl in GF Baking Mix, brown rice flour, guar or xanthan gum, sugar, salt, and cinnamon. Add cold butter and 10 tablespoons ice water, pulsing just enough to allow dough to hold together without crumbling when pressed, about 22 one-second pulses. Do not over process; it should look crumbly. If necessary, add additional 1 tablespoon water and pulse until mixture presses together. Pour mixture onto a flat work surface dusted with GF Baking Mix. Use hands to bring dough together without overworking it. The dough should be coming together. If it’s too sticky, dust with a little more GF Baking Mix.
- Divide dough in half and form into two balls. Place one dough ball on top of a large pastry cloth or sheet of waxed paper; cover with two sheets of waxed paper, overlapping sheets 3–4 inches. Press dough into a 4-inch disc. Repeat with remaining dough ball. Refrigerate 20 minutes.
- With waxed paper intact, roll each disc into an 11-inch round, working from center outward in all directions. Refrigerate rolled dough, covered in waxed paper, 10–20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425˚. Lightly butter the bottom and sides of a 9-inch pie dish. Carefully remove top layer of waxed paper from one crust. Slip a hand under the bottom layer; gently invert crust into dish. Tuck crust into dish and carefully remove paper, going especially slow in the middle. If dough rips, patch with a small piece cut from edge.
- To make filling: In a food processor, grind toasted almonds until a somewhat fine meal forms. Transfer to a large bowl and toss with sliced apples, agave, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and arrowroot. Spoon filling into crust. Remove top layer of paper from second crust; invert crust on top of filling and carefully remove paper. Press crust edges together and flute. Gently press top crust onto filling. Cut four 1-inch slits in top. Brush crust and edges with egg white and sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon.
- Bake at 425˚ for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350˚ and bake an additional 45 minutes until golden. Cool at least 1 hour before slicing.
PER SERVING: 318 cal, 47% fat cal, 17g fat, 8g sat fat, 31mg chol, 4g protein, 40g carb, 3g fiber, 156mg sodium