- Avoid refined carbohydrates, including white flour, white rice and white sugar, plus other caloric sweeteners.
- Eat fresh, natural foods.
- Emphasize nonstarchy vegetables as your primary sources of carbohydrates.
- Moderate your intake of nutritious carbohydrate-dense foods.
- Avoid soft drinks, fruit juices, alcohol and other highly processed drinks.
- Eliminate omega-6-rich vegetable oils from your diet, and use cold-pressed, extra-virgin olive oil instead.
- Emphasize omega-3 fats, found in cold-water fish.
- Steer clear of trans-fatty acids, which are found in deep-fried foods, margarine, and foods that contain partially hydrogenated oils.
- Eat some protein at every meal and snack.