Makes one 16-inch pizza or 6 pizza pockets.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Rising Time: 35 to 40 minutes
1 package active dry yeast
1-1/2 cups warm water
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups unbleached white flour
1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon salt
1. Dissolve yeast in the warm water. Stir in olive oil and set aside.
2. Combine white flour and salt in a large mixing bowl, making a well in the center. Add the yeast mixture and stir until blended.
3. Gradually stir in the whole wheat flour, only adding enough to make a soft, workable dough.
4. Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. (Continue to lightly flour your work surface if the dough becomes sticky while kneading.)
5. Place dough in an oiled bowl, cover with a towel and let rise in a warm place until it's doubled in bulk, about 35 to 40 minutes.
6. At this point, the dough can be used to make Pizza Pockets or Breadsticks.