|Pumpkin Cranberry Muffins |
Makes 12 small or 6 large muffins
1 cup pumpkin purée
3/4 cup wheat bran
3 egg whites
3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk (can substitute nonfat buttermilk or nonfat plain yogurt)
1/3 cup molasses
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon grated orange rind
1-1/4 cups whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1-1/2 cups dried cranberries
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. In large mixing bowl, combine pumpkin pureé, wheat bran, egg whites, buttermilk, molasses, brown sugar and orange rind. Whisk together.
3. In separate bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg.
4. Stir wet ingredients into dry, mixing well. Add cranberries to mixture and stir.
5. Fill cups of a nonstick muffin pan a half-inch from top. Bake about 30 minutes, until tops are golden and a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool 10 minutes before removing from pan.
How To Pureé Pumpkin
1. Cut pumpkin into large chunks.
2. Arrange chunks in a steamer.
3. Let steam for 30 to 45 minutes. It's done when interior is soft.
4. Remove from steamer and scrape pulp away from skin.
5. Whip with beater or pureé in food processor.
Calories 164,Fat 1,Perfat 4,Cholesterol 1,Carbo 38,Protein 4,Fiber ,Sodium